Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Bowl (or more) Full of Cherries

Last week I came across a great article on the health benefits of cherries. It doesn't take much to convince me how wonderful cherries are. I've been a bit obsessed with them ever since. Thank goodness it is in fact cherry season here in California.

While doing a quick grocery trip with my husband last night, I saw a beautiful display of cherries. They literally greeted me at the door! I moved quickly to select my bag and gently placed them in the cart. I couldn't wait to enjoy them. Unfortunately I was met with a LOFTY price tag for them at the check out stand - $18! Hubby was convinced I picked the largest bag possible, which no doubt, I probably did. Wow! I had to quickly rattle off all the health benefits both to him and myself to justify such an extravagant fruit purchase. It was easy...

-A 2009 study from the University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center found that a cherry-enriched diet significantly decreases body weight and fat. Antioxidants, called anthocyanidins, could possibly help you lose weight by turning on a fat-burning enzyme. In particular the research spoke about belly fat which as we all know is a major factor in many serious diseases. Suggested amount - a cup of cherries a day.

-Cherries, such as the black or bing, contain lots of antioxidants, vitamin C, calcium, and potassium. The anthocyanins found in tart cherries act as cyclooxygenase inhibitors, blocking the enzymes responsible for the formation of inflammatory agents, which cause pain for arthritis sufferers. According to scientists, tart cherries actually act in the same way as Vioxx and Celebrex.

-Anti-aging properties as a result of the antioxidants.
-Known to relieve symptoms of Gout.

According to Chinese Medicine:
Cherries are warming in nature so best treat disorders of 'coldness' (eg. person feels cold all the time)
Increases Qi (helps when you feel a lack of energy)
Tonifies the Spleen (pancreas)
They are a well-known rememdy for gout, arthritis, and rheumatism
Helps overcome numbness in the limbs
Rich source of iron so helps with blood deficiency and/or anemia


So if you find yourself blowing your food budget on cherries, know that it is in the name of good health! So Enjoy!

Good Health & Happy Living...
Jenn

1 comment:

  1. Besides buying fresh cherries on this trip, I also bought dried ones to make a trail mix with. I'm experimenting with different trail mixes - once perfected I'll share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete