Friday, May 7, 2010

Dampity damp damp damp….

....and why it causes weight gain

When I first began seeing an acupuncturist many years ago I asked her what she thought I could do to remedy my situation (allergies, anxiety, excess weight). I was hoping she would give me some great food ideas, particular activities I could incorporate into my daily routine and books I could read. Instead she told me I was “damp” and that I needed to avoid ‘damp-producing’ foods such as bread and peanut butter (how did she know that was one of my loves!). Why was I damp? What did this mean? What else qualified as a damp-producing food item? In time and through years of formal education, I found out.

Without getting in the minutiae of Traditional Chinese Medical theory – yin/yang, five element, three jiaos (you get the point) – I will explain what dampness is, how it manifests and what foods you can eat to keep it (and excess weight) at bay.

The quality of dampness in nature and in our bodies is to moisten and lubricate. It is necessary for the proper functioning of many physiological activities. However when dampness is excessive, it can obstruct and clog. This excessive dampness has a tendency to impair the digestive and elimination functions in the body, which can in turn not only produce excess weight but can cause a whole host of our disorders throughout the body including acne, eczema, edema, Candida, tumors, etc.

If you imagine what it’s like to walk around with 4 layers of clothing that are all sopping wet - that is how dampness feels. You feel sluggish, heavy, and depressed.

Some of the typical signs that you may have a tendency towards dampness include:

-Sluggishness

-Lack of appetite or an appetite that seems fickle

-Bloated (especially after meals)

-Loose stools or constipation

-Feel of heaviness in the body and limbs

-Nausea

-Feeling “out of it”

-If you look at your tongue in the mirror, you may see a thick coat

So what can you do about it! Just like losing weight, it is a slow process to get rid of dampness. But it can be done and you’ll feel like a new person! You’ll have more energy, your belly will flatten back to its normal place, and you will be able to think more clearly!

Damp foods (foods to avoid or aggressively limit):

Highly processed foods/Fast food

Fried foods

Dairy

Meats

Butter

Eggs

Tofu

Other soy-based products

Oils

Sugars and other sweeteners

Fruits (particularly pineapple)

Nuts (especially peanuts)

Alcohol

I’m not saying that you have to cut these foods out entirely – that isn’t realistic at all. But you just have to be mindful that these foods can and will make you feel yucky if you are already prone to dampness.

Other things to keep in mind that will further promote dampness:

Excessive consumption of any foods (overeating)

Eating while stressed out

Eating late at night/before bed

Iced beverages (slows down the digestive fire)

Excessive worrying/thinking can actually tax the digestive system

So what CAN I eat. By incorporating these foods daily into your diet – you will help more quickly combat the dreaded dampness.

Foods to get rid of damp

Adzuki beans

Small red beans

Broad beans

Pumpkin

Vinegar

Rye

Amaranth

Scallion

Asparagus

Lettuce

Turnip

Kohlrabi

Celery

Raw Honey

Chamomile

Wild blue-green algae

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention exercise. As with anything you need to move your body for it to work properly and for you to move that damp right out! Just like a load of soppy clothes straight out of the washer, you need to get them into the dryer and spinning to get them back to normal. So get out there and spin/move/ride/walk.. Whatever suits your fancy.

Good Health+Happy Living!
-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment